Saturday, January 2, 2010

Blue Shawl

At last I have managed to get some painting practice in. I hope this will be a good omen for the new year .. Just fiddling around with some painting/drawing techniques with this one. I used a reference photo for this and embellished it a bit. Jo Sonja acrylics on canvas panel. I used a stamping technique to make the red beads and some coloured pencil on the hair and for the blue shawl. The coloured pencil does not photograph well in some areas .. eg. the face .. so next time I will just use paint on that area. I painted this in a monochrome sort of way to begin with by using just a mix of burnt umber/burnt sienna and white. Later I glazed some colour onto the face and clothing.

Here is a close up crop of the above painting.


2 comments:

Tonya Vollertsen said...

Really like the feel and colors of this one!

Rosalie Wrona said...

This is another of those quick doodles where I force myself to 'just paint something'! Giving myself a push along.

Rosalie