Saturday, May 22, 2010

What do you think? ..

I've not had time to do anything new this past week .. so I'm putting this pastel of Jessica up again. This time with some 'Photoshopped' balloons in the background. I have had this drawing up in the forums at Wet Canvas this past week and the people in the Figure forum mostly liked the balloons wheras the people in the Pastel forum said 'get rid of them'. lol So I am still in a dilemma. I'm wanting to add more interest to my pastels lately .. that was the idea of adding the balloons or something so that it is then not just a portrait. What do you think?

10 comments:

Stan Kurth said...

I like the original!

Rosalie Wrona said...

Thanks for commenting Stan. Yes .. it seems the first version is the most popular.

Sandy Byers said...

I applaud you for experimenting (and don't you just love Photoshop?!). The piece is much stronger without the balloons - they block the movement of the eye.

Rosalie Wrona said...

I experiment often by using Photoshop. Not usually on pastels - but it's a great tool for figuring out what to do next.
Thanks for commenting.

Connie said...

Hi Rosalie - I guess I'm the only one, but I like the balloons - maybe just a little softer and more abstract. It seems to tell a story. The painting is lovely - a winner with or without the balloons! I'm enjoying visiting your blog - it's delicious!

Rosalie Wrona said...

Thank you Connie. Those balloons have been quite controversal but I guess I'll leave them out.

Tonya Vollertsen said...

You know Rosalie, the thing of it is, you have such a wonderful way with the faces of your subjects and the subtle but fascinating textures you create in the backgrounds seem to be plenty enough to cary them most of the time. This version is certainly nice but I think I prefer the original. I just love your textures.

Rosalie Wrona said...

Thank you Tonya .. I'm mainly interested in the faces of my subjects and must admit that after I have delt with the face everything else disinterests me .. ha ha! I'm just impatient to be finished with it after the face .. now you know my fickle ways. lol

judie said...

I do like the balloons...for the added hint of color and action. Feels like you were at Montmartre sketching. Love your pastels!

Rosalie Wrona said...

I wish I was at Montmarte sketching.
Thanks for commenting :)